Friday 17 January 2014

It’s all about the run...




Ready for a 7km run

I will never forget my first run; a mere 3km. An attempt that left me covered in mud grazes down my shins, blisters along the side of my feet, a sun-burnt face, and a wide-eyed fearful look on my face when my friend, Tarryn, came back to find me an hour later.

It must have been a spectacle to watch, because how hard was it really? HA! My feet felt like they had been replaced with ten-ton bricks, and it seemed that my body was applauding me as my fat thighs slapped together. Traumatic to say the least!

Trying to be funny after a hellish run

That was a good four years ago. It is hard to believe, but I didn’t stop running, with the help of a few heartbreaks, determination, special friends and a book that inspired this blog (see Ruth Field’s Run Fat Bitch Run). 

So while I bashed, and sweated on the treadmill I managed an easy five-kilometre run – then I got faster. I went from the little train that couldn’t to a ‘runner’. I bought those lycra pants I envied on runners next to me, and the more I ran (besides being hungrier) the cellulite disappeared and my body found the elusive calf tone. 
Before every run I have one of these moments of "Do I have to?"

I found more runners. I ran more. I dedicated Sunday mornings to running further. I mixed running playlists for my friends to get them to run with me. I entered trail runs, ran them and live to tell the tale. I ran when I was on holiday, beach or road. I slowly became a runner. “She runs, you know” is what people said. “I am running this weekend” is what I said. I am not a comrade’s runner, I haven’t managed a ten-kilometre yet, but I will.

There was always one place I could go when I had a shit day, nursed a broken heart, needed a high, or just needed to think – the run. I didn’t need to dress up, hold its hand, wear an expensive perfume, be smarter, be prettier, like certain things, or be a body-type – all I needed to do was to show up, takkies laced and a great running mix blaring from my earphones.

Running and I have a love-hate relationship; I love the aftermath of endorphins, but by god I hate every run. I love that I can hate it but love it. 

The Modderfontein Reserve Park Run
Tips for Running (by Kelly)

  • Get your hands on a copy of Ruth Field’s Run Fat Bitch Run
  • Have a coffee before your morning run
  • Make a kick ass running mix that will keep you pumped
  • Have a fruit before and after your run
  • Get decent takkies (get fitted properly when you manage a 5km run comfortably)
  • Route a run through a residential area – houses are pretty to watch pass by
  • Join a local Park Run – They are Free!
  • NO EXCUSES!

Remember: Run, Fat Bitch.

You can follow me on Instagram and Twitter (Find the hastag #runfatbitch)

1 comments:

nerinedorman said...

I began running last year April as part og my gym regime. Bought the most screamingly bright pink running shoes in September. My runs are down to the Glencairn wetlands now 1 or 2 evenings a week during summer. A perfect way to destress. Winter sees me playing hamster on the gym's treadmill.

Next time you visit Cape Town we should plan a run here along the coast in the far south.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com